Soil Bulk Density Kits (BDK0)
The BDK0 Bulk density kit is a low cost, high precision kit for collecting bulk density samples. It is an ideal tool for determining the soil volumetric water content and calibration of the soil water content measurement sensors.
Bulk density of the soil is the ratio of the mass of the dried soil to the volume of the soil. It indicates the compaction level of the soil.
Mathematically: soil bulk density = mass of oven dried soil/soil volume
- Soil volume = ring volume
- Ring volume (cm3) = 3.14 x r2 x ring height.
- r is the internal radius of the ring.
Bulk Density Kit Applications
- Soil quality assessment
- Soil water balance studies
The Bulk Density Kit (BDK0) comes with the following parts.
- 6x Bulk Density rings with 60mm height, 45mm of internal diameter: it is ring with which the soil sample is taken. The volume of the ring is later used as the volume of the soil to calculate the bulk density of the soil.
- 1xHammer block: is a protection placed between the ring (sampling can) and the mallet, to push the sampler down the soil surface.
- 1x Rubber Mallet (450G/16oZ); used to drive the ring (can) down the soil surface.\
- 1x Protection lead: prevent the damage of the ring sampler while driving down the ring in to the soil
- 1x Spade (hand trowel); removes the plants and or grasses from the surface where the sample is going to be taken.
- 1X 50mm joint knife: Levels the soil in the ring.
- 1x box of Zip lock bags for collecting the soil samples.
- 1x packet of rubber band, to knot the plastic bags that contain the soil samples.
- Butter Muslin: For cleaning the outer surface of the ring cans before putting the soil sampled into the plastic bag.
- 1x Marker uses to mark the sample taken (mark the bags).